Please take note, I am starting this at 8.00am on Monday morning. I must admit that I have been posting less of late, and there is a reason for this. Since Jacob’s been more mobile, he has been a bit more of a menace and has been taking up a bit more of my attention.
Some of the reasons why it takes me longer to write blog posts:
1. Jacob LOVES the computer. Every time I use it, he wants to use it. Even if I try to avoid him or distract him, he’ll be back and will bang on my keyboard. Quite often I just give in and put it away. So I usually only blog when he’s sleeping (or if he’s heavily distracted).
2. Jacob doesn’t sleep much in the day anymore. Our usual routine is 45 mins in the morning and 45 minutes in the afternoon (though it has been fluctuating lately due to his teething). The rest of the time is usually spent entertaining him.
3. Because he doesn’t sleep much, housework piles up so I use his sleeping time to do housework.
I think it’s just a vicious cycle, but I can’t complain because I do love spending time with him. Sometimes I give him a bit of TV time (like now) for a bit of a break for myself. I’ve borrowed some German kids DVDs from the library and I believe both of us are learning here!
Anyway, it’s 2 days early but I thought I’d better write this before I lose track of time. In 2 days time, Jacob will be 9 months old!! I’ve said this so many times, but I’m still shocked at how time has flown by and how much he has grown and developed. We are beginning to see more and more of his personality, and it’s really exciting.
Height: Haven’t checked lately but I know he’s grown as he’s outgrown some outfits. He’s somewhere between a size 0 and size 1.
Weight: Based on my digital scale, 8.6kg. He used to be 75th percentile but now his weight is around the 25th percentile. Average weight for his age is supposed to be 8.9kg. It’s probably due to the fact that he’s not just mobile, he’s a crazy crawler and climber. He burns off a lot of calories! But as long as he’s healthy, I’m happy.
Milestones: Not walking yet (thank goodness!) but he’s close. He crawls relatively quickly (almost as fast as I walk) so it’s no use now when I put him down somewhere and run to do something else, because he just follows me. He loves opening and closing drawers, pulling himself up onto things (to potentially climb) and playing the piano (He can reach the keys if he tippy-toes).
Sleep: Still not sleeping through – I fear for my sanity at times. It’s only particularly bad if he sleeps too late (hence is overtired) and when he’s teething. His top teeth have descended and slightly cut through but there’s still some growing to do, I reckon.
Favourite foods: Yoghurt (with ANYTHING in it – he once put his omelette in it and ate it.), Weetbix and fruit for breakfast, eggs, carrot sticks (or anything in the form of a stick really), pumpkin, bananas, teething rusks. He’s quite a good eater now though he is still fiercely independent at times.
Favourite books: The Bad-Tempered Ladybird (I borrowed it from the library – Jacob laughs every time I say “Hey you, want to fight?”), All Monkeys Love Bananas (especially the part where they go “Bleh! Yuck!!”), Any book mum is reading (because he’ll want to bite it).
Favourite songs: Ohhhhh…. the grand old duke of york (he loves the up and down motions), 5 little ducks (though I usually start with 3 because I can’t be bothered going on and on about those ducks).
Favourite toys: Remotes (he has his own remote but he just assumes ANY remote is his. TV, aircon, etc.), the play table (thanks Priscilla!), stacker cups in the bath (he just pours water out of the bath), any musical toys that make music, my laptop and phone.
Funny/cute things he has done (and sometimes still does):
– He likes to explore in the oddest of places. One day he went into our bedroom and disappeared – and then I found him under the bed! Other places he has decided to play in include inside a glass display case and on top of a box of oranges (like literally lying on the oranges).
– He always makes me feel bad for using the computer because he comes up behind the computer and peekaboo’s me from the side and front of the computer. So I just put it away and play with him. Sneaky!
– He knows how to run – in the air! When we lift him up and he’s excited, he’ll run in the air (while flailing his arms and squawking).
– He makes the funniest sounds ever. Yes, the normal bababa and gagaga but he also hisses at us sometimes, or makes rasping sounds. He blows raspberries, snorts, grunts, squawks, screeches and simply guffaws with laughter at the randomest things.
– In general, he’s just really random. He just comes up to me and suddenly slaps me on the face. He can be eating a piece of banana and then suddenly he’ll make some really quick hand movements to squish the banana and it flies everywhere. He’s happy, then upset, then curious, then loving. So random, but I love him all the time.
Message from Jacob: 6+60.31020gg+00hbgv1f2f0 020.0zu-h”**-+
This is a record – posting this on the same day that I started writing! It’s about 9.00pm here now, and it’s also Game of Thrones time. I love Mondays! ❤